[grsec] Re: Lost permissions.

John Anderson johnha at ccbill.com
Fri May 20 17:12:19 EDT 2005

I found out why this happened, but not how to fix it.   Any time
/etc/passwd is altered without reloading gradm or stoping and starting
gradm, and program that accesses /etc/passwd is unable to do so until
gradm is restarted.  For instance, Jed, another sysadmin logged into the
bastion, su'ed, gradm -a admin, then used useradd to add a new user to
the box.  He then gradm -u exit, etc.   After that, no programs could
access /etc/passwd until the box was rebooted (because we could no
longer su in order to restart gradm).

Is this expected normal behavior?  We can already work around this by
reloading/restarting gradm whenever /etc/{passwd,shadow,gshadow,group}
is altered.

--
- John A.
Systems Administrator