[grsec] Lost permissions.

John Anderson johnha at ccbill.com
Fri May 20 14:37:11 EDT 2005

After about three days of continuous operation our bastion host suddenly
denies any read access to /etc/passwd.  I can't explain it.  Sshd runs
just fine and allows login for a long time period, then it won't allow
any new users to connect.  Sshd won't allow anone to connect, I can't
su, and no one can ssh out of the box.  When I read messages I see that
grsec is denying access to /etc/passwd for various roles and policies.
I've attached the grsec specific output from /var/log/messages and I've
attached my policies.   Has anyone else seen this particular problem.

Kernel - 2.6.11.8
gradm - 2.1.5
grsecurity-2.1.5-2.6.11.7-200504111924.patch  (applied cleanly)

--
- John A.
Systems Administrator