[grsec] How to list total user resource usage

Jonas Jakobsson jonas at update.uu.se
Mon Feb 21 17:15:30 EST 2005

* John Logsdon (j.logsdon at quantex-research.com) wrote:
> I have to disgree on this one, Jonas.
>
> It is a function of an active sysadmin to keep an eye on load and inform
> errant users, not of general users. It is also not good security for a
> user even to know who else is logged in, which is an implication.

Depends on the needed level of security. We need to see who is logged
in, but not what is running.

> So if a machine is being hogged, dissatisfied users should pester the
> sysadmin if they haven't been keeping an eye on things.  All that is
> needed is a cronned job every few minutes that emails/SMSs the sysadmin if
> various limits are exceeded.

That works on professional systems with a paid admin, but it desnt work
that well with volunteer admins. It might take several hours to respond.

But i guess its just better solved in annother way.

/Jonas