[grsec] Grsecurity + apache listening on multiple ports + excessive load

Brad Spengler spender at grsecurity.net
Thu Feb 10 21:40:42 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 02:40:53PM -0500, Adriano Caloiaro wrote:

> Hello, I've run into a rather unusual problem the last few days.  I'm running apache 2.0.50 on 2 dell poweredge 2650 servers. Apache runs fine when I have it simply listening on port 80 for http connections, but when I have it listening on port 80 & 443 at the same time, the load on the server(s) almost immediately jump to 4.0.  However, this only happens while I'm running a grsecurity kernel and not the stock kernel from my distro.  Is anyone aware of what might cause this sort of behavior? Thanks

I'd have to see some profiling information for your system's kernel to
see if grsecurity is causing any bottleneck.  Are you running grsecurity
2.1.1?  I don't know of any algorithms in the current version of grsec
that have a significant base hit or algorithmic complexity above O(1)
for the general case.  If you could enable OProfile in your kernel (if
your kernel supports it), the output would be useful.

-Brad