[grsec] idea: auto-globbing on libs with version numbers in filename using a regex

Marc Schiffbauer marc at schiffbauer.net
Fri Apr 1 06:18:36 EST 2005

Hi Brad,

would it make sense to you to implement some kind of auto-globbing
for some files, maybe configured through learn_config?

I personlly do not like the fact that updating of some library to a
newer version will make binaries linked against them unusable until
I update the grsec policy...

Example:

full learning printed something like

  /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2    rx
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11   rx

into the policy.

Now I think it would make sense (and not reduce security too much) to put

  /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.*      rx
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.*      rx

into the policy instead so that future versions of that library will
work.

A config option with a regex like

  auto-glob /usr/X11R6/lib/lib.*\.so\.([0-9.]+)

where \1 will be replaced by * automagically would be another cool
feature... what do you think?

-Marc