[grsec] grsecurity 2.1.11 released for Linux 2.4.36.2/2.6.24.4

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Tue Apr 15 04:40:45 EDT 2008

Brad, PaX Team, everyone

Firstly the appreciation of all needs to be expressed for the continued
maintenance of grsec.

Secondly, given the continued release issues with the 2.6 kernel, I am sure
that all will understand the problem of supporting such a moving target.
However most Linux implementations offer either 2.6 as default or do not
offer 2.4 kernels anyway and there may be other issues which make it
necessary to use 2.6 in some cases.

You suggestion of moving to support only, say, the Ubuntu production kernels
only seems sensible.  I would add in the RHEL (or Fedora) kernels if that
were possible.  Most production implementations where protection is crucial
use or derive from these - particularly RHEL - so most installations will be
covered while keeping the task within manageable proportions.

Some sysadmins are understandably wary of using vanilla ie non-production
kernels so this may lead to a greater uptake of grsec if a grsec-enhanced
ready-rolled kernel is put up on appropriate repositories along side a
ready-patched kernel.

This might lead to collaboration - and support - from either of these
organisations and show them that there is a better alternative to the
standard offering of (dare I say it) SEL.

--
Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com