[grsec] grsec's tcp source port randomization

Adam James ad at heliosphan.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 14:59:53 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:33:46 -0500 (CDT)
Brant Williams <brant at tnarb.net> wrote:

> A couple of list members have asked where I found the grsec
> changelog... it's way outdated, for 2.1.0 from 2005...
>
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/386374
>
> So I'm still wondering when/why TCP source port randomization was
> removed... I've checked against grsec 2.1.10 for vanilla 2.4.34 as
> well as Gentoo's hardened sources 2.6.18.

I imagine it was removed at the same time as randomised PIDs, which
was mentioned in the release notes for 2.1.10:

* Removal of randomized PIDs feature, since it provides no useful
  additional security and wastes memory with the 2.6 kernel's pid
  bitmap

As is stated above, I can't really see how randomised TCP source ports
provide any extra security.

--atj