[grsec] 2.6.13.2-grsec 20050930: High frequency of apps dying

bc bc at default.co.yu
Wed Oct 5 03:37:17 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 18:12 -0400, fire-eyes wrote:
> I am going to keep this *VERY* short because one of the apps that keeps
> dying due to the messages below is my mail client. This is quite
> frustrating.
>
> I am using 2.6.13.2-grsec from 20050930. It seems the number of
> applications which die off with either signal 11's left and right or
> RLIMIT_CORE messages is increasing rapidly on my system. It is making
> daily use very frustrating. mozilla-firefox 1.0.7 died immediately after
> starting at least four times in a row within one minute.
>
> mozilla and mozilla-firefox 1.0.7 seem to be particularly affected.
> Curiously, I am no longer even able to compile either one of them (I am
> using a gentoo system). I have spoken with gentoo devs, and they seem to
> think my situation is unique. Compile attempts of mozilla or
> mozilla-firefox always end at some point with gmake dying, the same way
> as these apps below.
>
> What can I do about this? I wish to use my system without applications
> being killed off left and right. I'm not sure if this is something in
> gentoo, grsecurity, or some odd combination.
>
> Pardon the excess logs, I can't hang around because mozilla will get
> terminated again.

Hello,

I don't intent to be rude or start a flame, but just one quick thought:
Why IN THE HELL ON EARTH would someone run grsec kernel on desktop
machine or tighten application like mozilla, gaim or tuxracer?!

FFS!!!

It just doesn't make sense and yet it keeps busy even that little number
of grsecurity maintainers.
Instead of writing some quality documentation on this quality security
add-on for linux *server* platform, they have to handle
god-knows-which-buggy-mozilla-bloated code.

just my $0.02

--
=bc <bc at default.co.yu>
Default Inc.