[grsec] RBAC on Sparc?

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Sat Nov 26 11:01:10 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've taken the plunge and want to try out RBAC on some of my machines,
so I thoguht I'd first try it on one of my Suns that's sitting about
doing nothing but crunching distributed.net at the moment. Patching the
kernel and all that went fine -- that's something I have some experience
with...

However, installing and running gradm wasn't so easy. First of all, the
makefile passes -m64 to gcc's command line to build 64-bit code, but it
chokes on my 32-bit libraries like PAM, so I had to disable this. That
got gradmin to compile and install, but now it can't communicate with
the kernel, which complains about being fed garbage:

grsec: From 192.168.1.3: /dev/grsec: 12 bytes sent 16 required, being
fed garbaged by /sbin/gradm2[gradm2:3304] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0,
parent /bin/bash[bash:3205] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0

This, I assume, is due to some variable having a different size in a
32-bit/64-bit world.

So how do I get around this?

I'm using Debian Etch (testing) on this machine with grsecurity 2.1.7,
gradmin 2.1.7, linux 2.6.14-cks5.

Thanks,
Chris

--