[grsec] RLIMIT_MEMLOCK resource overstep by ntpd

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Thu May 12 03:11:25 EDT 2005

(ntp-4.2.0.a.20040617-4, CentOS4, 2.6.11.7-grsec, grsec not enabled)

I see from the PaX reply on the Gentoo hardened list (24 Jan 2005) that
this report is due to extending the check to userland, which seems
logical.

So it appears that ntpd (running under uid/gid=38) has a problem.   In
fact since the clock doesn't appear to have changed, this message implies
that ntpd hasn't worked either, which is more serious if it is true.

However, what should be done about it?  AFAIK the ntpd is up to date.
Should I just relax the limit in the ACLs or is it something to be worried
about?  Apart of course from turning resource logging off.

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com