[grsec] random x freeze

Barry.Schwartz at chemoelectric.org Barry.Schwartz at chemoelectric.org
Mon Mar 14 10:00:48 EST 2005

fellow <fellow at linuxforum.hu> wrote:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X: setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
> version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared
> libs), stripped
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
> 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
> stripped

If X is a small program it's probably what I used to have with XFree86
version 3 (from Slackware), though in my case it was called Xwrap or
something like that.  It's to separate out the setuid/setgid parts of
the Xserver on the grounds that a small program is likely to have
fewer bugs.  I think I might have ported it to XFree86 version 4, as
well, when I upgraded (with binaries from XFree86), so my system would
have looked a little like that.

--
Barry.Schwartz at chemoelectric.org    http://www.chemoelectric.org
"Even if they say lofty things like `democracy' or whatever