[grsec] Much more denies after upgrade 2.1.1 -> 2.1.3

Marc Schiffbauer marc at schiffbauer.net
Wed Mar 9 05:15:53 EST 2005

* Brad Spengler schrieb am 09.03.05 um 02:01 Uhr:
> > What might be the reson for that?
>
> Hard to say.  I'd have to see your policy and straces of one of the
> apps before the upgrade and after.  I assume you didn't update anything
> else on the system between the upgrade of 2.1.1 to 2.1.3.  The only time
> I've ever seen similar new denials across several apps was when glibc
> was upgraded and nscd was installed and used with every app.

Hm. No there was only the grsec and the kernel upgrade (2.4.29-rc3
-> 2.4.29)

I now noticed that several services do not start at system boot
anymore... I have to start them manually (after authenticating to
rbac as admin...)

I spent days if not weeks to tune the ACLs and put every
system-users acl-stuff in an own file included from the main policy file
after full-learning for several days.
I started to do that in grsec 1.9.x times. Before learn_config and
the (i)nheritance flag have been there and where the ACL-generating
process took too much ressources because I had a huge learning log of
everal GBs so that I had to split the learning logs by users before
doing that...

I now have the feeling that it would propably be better to start the
whole process again and throw all my current policies away... what
do you think?

-Marc
--
*   Unix is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, only apache inside  *