[grsec] grsecurity 2.1.2 released for 2.4.29/2.6.11 *CRITICAL UPDATE*

Brad Spengler spender at grsecurity.net
Sat Mar 5 15:38:39 EST 2005

> ? ? ? ? During testing of kernel 2.6.11 with grsecurity 2.1.2 and config
> option Security Level set to high, I have noticed that TCP source ports are
> no longer random. ?I have checked the kernel config and both
> CONFIG_GRKENSEC_RANDNET & CONFIG_GRKENSEC_RANDSRC are set to y.

A feature equal in aim to the random TCP source ports feature, but
different in implementation was added to 2.6.11.  Repeated connections
to the same host and port over a given time interval will have an
incrementing source port.  Connections to a different host or the same
host and a different port will have a "random" source port.

For more information on the new implementation in Linux and the reason
behind it, see:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-larsen-tsvwg-port-randomisation-00.txt

-Brad