[grsec] Re: Bad EIP Value on Athalon 700

Mike Perry mikepery at fscked.org
Wed Jan 5 15:33:56 EST 2005

Thus spake pageexec at freemail.hu (pageexec at freemail.hu):

> > A .config that should exhibit the oops is attached.
>
> indeed, because it contains an invalid combination: KERNEXEC cannot be
> enabled with PCI_BIOS. switch your PCI access method to 'direct' and it
> should work. the next problem we have to find out is how you ended up
> with this combination, normally both the PaX and grsec Kconfig setup
> prevents you from doing this... so can you tell us what you exactly did?

Hrmm.. I'm not entirely sure. I maintain a few different grsec
machines, so what I tend to do is move .config files around a bit.

I think what may have happened is I took the grsec portion of some
.config, appended it to the stock .config, then configured my kernel,
leaving PCI access method as "Any".

I'm nearly positive that I did not explicitly select PCI_BIOS. Is it
enabled automatically when you select method "Any"?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist