[grsec] Update: [Was: Kernel 2.6.10-as2-grsec-20050124: proftpd segfaulting (11 / SIGSEGV)]

fire-eyes sgtphou at fire-eyes.dynup.net
Thu Feb 17 09:55:52 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 14:17 -0500, fire-eyes wrote:
> I'm running kernel 2.6.10, with the as2 patch, with grsecurity 20050124
> patch.
>
> I've been thrilled with it using it here on a server, except for one
> problem i've run into. Proftpd keeps segfaulting , that is, signal 11
> (SIGSEGV).
>
> It worked fine for all of today, up till a while ago (while I was at
> lunch, of course :P ), then clients could not log in, their FTP sessions
> were immediately closed.
>
> Logs show many lines similar to:
>
> grsec: From 192.168.1.128: signal 11 sen
> to /usr/sbin/proftpd[proftpd:386]
> uid/euid:0/1001 gid/egid:407/407,
> parent /usr/sbin/proftpd[proftpd:29018]
>
> Now, does this mean grsecurity sent that signal? Or is this just the
> signal logging?
>
> I repeatedly stopped proftpd and started it back up, and kept getting
> the same problem.
>
> I rebooted to 2.6.10, and I am not having this problem, but needless to
> say I'm very nervous.

Update:

I'm running 2.6.10 and after a few hours of running fine this morning,
the same thing is happening to clients. Sessions terminated. Obviously I
don't get that log line.

So this does not appear to me related to grsec, unless the fact that I
compiled proftpd whilst using grsec could enter in as a factor.

Thanks for posting this :)