[grsec] Hyperthreading and Xeon x86_64's

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Fri Dec 9 16:44:29 EST 2005

I have a kernel patched on a test box (actually a Dell PE1850) with grsec
running on a twin Xeon x86_64's. Logical processors are switched on in the
BIOS and under an ordinary kernel, 4 logical processors are shown in
/proc/cpuinfo etc.

However under a grsec 2.6.14.3-grsec kernel, I see only 2, despite the ht
flag being displayed.  This occurs whether I have the processor type set
as generic x86_64 (as is the standard kernel) or EM64T processors.

Is it possible that something in grsec/PaX is interfering or is there any
other explanation?

I can post the .config if needed...

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com