[grsec] Reboot problem

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Mon Dec 13 07:32:58 EST 2004

I have a reboot problem.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it's anything to do with grsec is
that I altered the PaX configuration - basically switched it on and unset
the grsec sysctl facility.  The grsec config is essentially that shown on
the Gentoo grsec2 page except with:

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_PROC_USER=y
CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_USERGROUP is not set

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_EXECLOG=n
CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_CHROOT_EXECLOG=n
CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_AUDIT_TEXTREL=n

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_TPE_GID=20

and gid=20 is group paxtpe but with no members.

After compiling the new kernel, going through to make install, I found
that I cant ssh in *even before rebooting*.

And if I reboot, I still can't ssh in to any user.

Is there anything in make install that could have altered a running kernel
or facility?

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com